The docs just came in. Nicholas’ numbers were actually down today. They were down to 55%. I have waited to post until I could talk to them. They obviously are not happy so they have been brainstorming to come up with a new plan.
The antibiotics he is on are great coverage drugs and he has responded well to them in the past, so for the time being, they are going to leave them alone. He’s been having some allergy symptoms. Between that and the increased breathing treatments, his throat is really sore. They are going to start him on a steroid tomorrow morning. It is going to be a high dose, short burst steroid; probably prednisone for five days. The doctor said that one good thing to come out of all this is that the steroid is going to make him want to eat more. They are also going to test him for aspergillus, which is a fungus that can grow in your lungs and causes inflamation. This is tested for through a skin test and blood work. They are going to do both.
The plan is to re-test his lung function on Friday. Regardless of what the numbers are, they say he will be here through next week. Obviously, this is not what we wanted to hear. So we are praying that the steroid works and if the allergy testing comes back with the aspergillus, that he responds well to treatment. His weight is up to 106.1 pounds and if the steroids make him want to eat more, then we will take it. They are going to reduce his breathing treatments since they haven’t really been that effective and since they are bothering him. And we are praying that our family can survive another week to 2 weeks apart. Please continue to pray for our family.